Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Healthy cooking and chocolate chip cookies

If you are or have been a student in India, you will probably understand the concept of 'study leave'. That one month's time before the massively overrated and overhyped board exams where all your hopes of having a social life and maintaining personal hygiene are completely destroyed. The time where the only place you can find solace is the toilet seat. The time when you're supposed to get off Facebook and put your face in a book till you're almost about to cry. The time you're so accustomed to sitting at the study table that you've forgotten how to walk.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it's been quite the contrary in my case. For me, 'study leave' is the time when I'm completely leaving all scope of studies. When I'm pampering myself with manicures and warm baths. The only time when I'm actually attending Zumba and Pilates classes on a proper schedule. When the only book my face would be in is Molecular Gastronomy by Hervé This. Most importantly, the time when I'm cooking and baking to my heart's content.

Sadly, all my favourite sugary foods seemed very counter-productive and cancelled out all the hard work I put into Pilates and Zumba. So, when my chocolate chip cookie craving remained unrestrained; I knew I would have to go down the scary route of 'healthy cooking' and kick the recipe up a notch. It definitely is not as bad as it sounds, though, because these might just be the best cookies I've ever made. And trust me, I've made lots of cookies.

The icing on the cake is that they're on the verge of being guilt-free with the use of wholewheat flour, oats, olive oil and honey instead of sugar. Perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and cakey on the inside with gooey dark chocolate chips enhancing the goodness of every bite.

So here goes the recipe;


WHOLEWHEAT HONEY OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES


Goodness <3

Ingredients:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil (the one with the lightest flavour that you can find)
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons milk (I used skimmed)
1 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup uncooked oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used Callebaut's 53% dark chocolate buttons)

Method:
-Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a baking tray with parchment or a baking sheet.
-Mix all the ingredients together except the oats and chocolate chips till it reaches the consistency of elastic dough. (Like that of bread.)
-Fold in the chocolate chips and oats until well combined.
-Drop the dough by rounded spoonfuls on the baking sheet or take small balls of dough and make round patties out of them.
-Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or till slightly firm and golden brown.
-Enjoy straight out of the oven or wait till completely cool before storing in an airtight container.

The cookies last for about a week but are surely best consumed fresh. The cookie dough can be frozen as well. The recipe makes about 30 medium sized cookies.

Feel free to post any queries in the comment section. :)



 

1 comment:

  1. It's really very complicated in this busy life to listen news on Television, so I only use internet for that reason, and obtain the hottest news.

    My page :: diet plans for women

    ReplyDelete